COLOMBIA CHILDREN’S VISION INTERNATIONAL ORPHANAGE
The Children’s Vision International Orphanage is located in Bogota, Colombia. Their mission is to rescue orphans and street children, provide them with a loving home, and to provide education. Currently this ministry in includes:
- 3 Homes (Genesis House, Exodus Boys’ House and Numbers Girls’ House).
- The Beginning of Wisdom School
- Over 100 children.
- Most children under age 4.
- Licensed by the Colombian Government as an orphanage.
- Mountain Mission to the homeless south of Bogota.
For more information visit Children’s Vision International
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH IN COLOMBIA
The Lutheran church in Colombia is a companion synod with our Southeastern Minnesota Synod. The Lutheran church in Colombia dates from 1938 and the mission work of Myrtle Nordin of Lake Lillian, Minnesota.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Colombia includes 25 congregations served by 27 pastors, evangelists, and lay people. Three congregations support elementary schools. The Lutheran secondary school in Sogamoso provides not only a government-approved curriculum, but also an outreach opportunity to non-church members.
Funds from Grace Lutheran for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Colombia (administered through the ELCA Global Mission unit) support key priorities including theological education, lay leader training, the Justice and Life office, and ministry with persons affected by HIV/AIDS.
SAINT CATHERINE LUTHERAN CHURCH, VALKA, LATVIA
Grace Lutheran began the relationship its sister congregation in the late 1980’s, while Latvia was still part of the communist Soviet Union. The late John Polis, a member of Grace Lutheran, grew up in Valka, Latvia, and Saint Catherine.
The Saint Catherine congregation began in 1477 and the present church building dates from the early 1700’s. Valka is a city of about 5,000 in northern Latvia right on the border with Estonia. The congregation is about 100 members.
Funds from Grace Lutheran help support their Kindergarten program and necessary renovations to the church and its facilities.
EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN SEMINARY NOVOSARATOVKA, SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
The Novosaratovka Seminary is the seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Russia and other States (ELCROS). It opened in 1997 and enrollment is about 15 students. The seminary is located about 10 miles outside central Saint Petersburg on the Neva River.
The seminary is funded by gifts from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany (EKD), the Lutheran World Federation (LWF), the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and the Lutheran Endowment for Novosaratovka Seminary (LENS). Grace Lutheran supports the seminary through gifts to LENS.
To learn more visit these websites:
CENTRAL DIOCESE OF THE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH OF TANZANIA AND THE MOROGORO MISSION DISTRICT AND INTERNATIONAL HEALTH PARTNERS TANZANIA
The Central Diocese and the Morogoro Mission District are a companion synod of our Southeastern Minnesota Synod. Mission work within the Central Diocese focuses on the Iambi Hospital and the Kiomboi Institute, a school that trains pastors, evangelists and administrators for the Lutheran church in Tanzania.
Grace also support to the Morogoro Mission District, and the the work of Pastor Herb Haferman and his team of evangelists working in primarily Muslim and indigenous religion areas around Morogoro working out of the Morogoro Lutheran Junior Seminary. Pastor Haferman published this overview of the ministry in 2007.
International Health Partners supports the medical mission work of Dr. Denny and Paula Loftstrom. IHP raises funds for the construction and operation of a Lutheran hospital in Mwanza, Tanzania, on the south shore of Lake Victoria. Periodically, the Lofstroms visit the congregation to share news about recent projects and how their dreams for this medical ministry are taking shape. To learn more, visit their site.